The other thing I get questions about all the time is how I made the “bibs” of my Duras Sisters dresses, and specifically, the edging around them. This is a quickie post about that!
STEP 1: Patterning, Cutting, and Sewing
You might notice a lot of my posts have a “Step 1: Patterning” section… bummer, eh? This was an easy one, though, I promise! I used that weird no-slip rubber stuff that people put under bath mats to keep them in place. You can find rolls of this at Home Depot for a few bucks. Unfortunately, since I’m posting in SUPER retrospect, I don’t have any photos of just that material. But you can get the idea from the below photo. I made the same vinyl strips that I used for the dresses themselves (sans taper) and simply sewed them on to the black rubber grip stuff that I had cut into “bib” shape.
Keep in mind that you need to be able to get your head through these. For Lursa, the two halves (front and back) were separate at the shoulders and held together by velcro (and by the plastic border… see below).
STEP 2: Friendly Plastic
You can buy friendly plastic on amazon, again for a few bucks. It’s basically a thermoplastic that has a low melting point… They tell you to melt it in hot water, then carefully shape it. I, like a moron, used my heating gun to melt and probably took 20 years off of my life by inhaling the fumes. DON’T DO THAT.
But anyway, here’s what I did. I made a rough border first, then did a second layer in which I created texture to look like rough metal.
If I had had more time, I might have actually thought through this patterning. I simply used some clay carving tools— I jammed them into the warm plastic and twisted in alternating directions to make big swirls. You can really play with this.
STEP 3: Painting
Good news! Plastic accepts paint… Didn’t consider that this could be an issue until well into the plastic process (which took FOREVER). So here’s the tidbit of the day: Always check before starting a project that your materials are compatible. I got lucky here, but did not have the same success when buying $80 of spandex that I later realized could NOT be dyed to the color I needed it to be. Always do your homework.
Not a lot else to share about paint. I used a bunch of different silvers, blacks, and even browns. I wasn’t super happy with the results the first couple times and just kept adding layers (the finish costumes had much darker borders than the pictures below…). Sometimes, just like with the sleeves that I mentioned I redid multiple times, you have to stand back, look at the whole picture, and make some decisions. It’s OK not to get it right the first time!
STEP 4: Shoulders Embellishments
These shoulder pieces were one of my first worbla projects… If you don’t know anything about worbla, I recommend looking up YouTube videos by Kamui Cosplay. These are the videos I used to figure everything out! The basic idea is to cut some craft foam to the right shape and melt worbla over it in layers (first picture below is after sandwhiching craft foam between worbla and trimming). Then paint. Here are some pictures of the little shoulder pieces I made. If I were to do this over, I might skip the worbla and just use plain old EVA foam (check out some of my Liara posts for instructions there…) for lighter, less rough looking pieces. But hey, this is what learning is all about!
OKAY. I have to admit, I started this post over a year ago and am just now finishing it. SORRY FOR THE DELAY! From here, I think my next post will be about resin. I LOVE RESIN. Stay tuned.